Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Underbelly is gladly in mybelly!!!!!

OMG!!! Another great restaurant in my neighborhood. How can this keep happening? I am so grateful that it does, because a restaurant serving good fresh food with a nod toward our local growers is what makes a community grow, happy and that very important word, sustainable. It is a grand design that just keeps getting better.


I had the good fortune to be invited to Underbelly by Flora. It is so great to check out a new place with a friend(s), Bob joined us a little later, especially when everyone orders different dishes.
Before I get into the food, I have to say I love the interior of Underbelly. Gratefully, the architects used the bones of what was once Chances and presto chango, make an airy, comfortable easy to be in restaurant. The walls contain shelves of canned vegetables, jams and jellies in glass jars. They are listed for sale on the dessert menu. Delightful.
Now to the food.
I had the Beef Stew, but not just any beef stew, beef stew made with slow roast Akaushi (red cow) Beef. This particular beef touts heart healthy as it's mantra, because it contains aleic acid, good fat for the heart. Also in this stew were potatoes, onions topped off with chives. The meat was lean and flavorful. I enjoyed it very much.
Flora had the Cornmeal Cured Pork Sandwich. While eating the sandwich, Flora said with gleam in her eyes, "I'm Happy." Now that is a recommendation if I've ever heard one!!! The sandwich came with fried pork rinds.
Bob ordered true to his Aussie roots and had the Braised Lamb Shank served over Farro Salad. He said it was excellent which was a true compliment considering Bob is a master at cooking lamb. Bob had already started eating his meal, before I had the where-with-all to snap the picture. I was a bit distracted with my beef stew.
Okay, so this last dish was my need to have dessert. It was a hard choice, but I selected something I had never eaten, Monkey Bread, Bourbon Butter with Caramel.  This is one of the best bread oriented desserts I have ever had. Light, but substantial bread that isn't over sweeten by the caramel. It is a lot of dessert, I guess that's why it says family style on the menu. It could easily feed a family of six. I'm glad I tried it. No, I didn't eat the whole thing, tempting, but no!!!!
Quote of the Day:
"The secret to staying young, is to live honestly, eat slowly and lie about your age." Lucille Ball

Underbelly
The Story of Houston Food
1100 Westheimer Rd.
Houston, TX 77006
713-528-9800
underbellyhouston.com

No comments:

Post a Comment