Thursday, July 12, 2012

Asia Society of Houston is a place to lunch...

...in a pleasing dining venue with fresh salads, soups and sandwiches. There is art, too!!!

My initial introduction to the Asia Society was by chance.

I had heard of it, but had never ventured there. A friend invited me to join her for a Tai Chi class taught at the Asia Society by Henderson Smith. I jumped at the chance.  I had been taking Tai Chi from Henderson at Rothko and any additional instruction was a bonus for me. He really is a marvel. The Asia Society has a perfect space for Tai Chi, wood floors, a wall of windows looking out onto a garden. Really nice. Long story short, before class started I was invited to look around the building. It is quite beautiful. It was during this mini tour that I discovered the dining area. I instantly knew that I would have to come back and give it a try. As I found out, the name of the restaurant is The Jade Stone Cafe and lunch is the only meal served from 11 am to 2 pm daily. The menu consists of two soups, which they are expanding to three starting next week, five salads and three or four sandwiches. With every new place I try, it is always a pleasant chore deciding what to eat. I opted for the soup and sandwich combo, figuring that I could at least try two out of the three menu groupings. The soup was chicken and wild rice with chopped summer squash and carrots. The sandwich, chicken curry salad with chutney on whole wheat. The sides were potato chips and a red cabbage and carrot slaw tossed with sesame oil and cilantro. I was very pleased with my lunch. It was tasty, all the flavors complimented each other, melding in my mouth, making for a happy belly.
The savory chicken curry was nicely offset by the sweetness of the chutney.

The manager of the cafe told me that the food is prepared by The Stone Kitchen, a catering company in Houston, owned by executive chef Elizabeth Stone and then transported to and then assembled to order at The Jade Stone Cafe.  The tables are dressed in white linens, the room itself is unadorned, taking away visual noise allowing for a serene place to enjoy lunch. While I was sitting there a mist formed outside the window. It reminded me of being in the mountains.
The mist is released every 11 minutes.

Look through the glass and you can see the tables with white linens.


When I asked at the information desk about it, they told me that the mist is released every 11 minutes from the reflecting pool on the second floor. The pool is a wonder all unto itself. I could sit and look at it for hours.

I am so glad that I was invited to the Tai Chi class. It opened the door to a new place to have lunch,  meditate and view art. It doesn't get much better than that!!!
Exhibition thru October 7, Treasure of Asian Art: A Rockefeller Legacy
Asia Society of Houston, 1370 Southmore.
The Asia Society of Houston
1370 Southmore Blvd.
Houston, TX 77004
713-439-0051
www.asiasociety.org/texas

The Stone Kitchen
www.stonekitchencatering.com

If you want to learn more about Tai Chi, I find it relaxing and invigorating all at the same time, here is Henderson's contact information. He is an excellent teacher.
Henderson Smith
Living Well Therapies
713-412-2157
www.livingwelltherapies.net
henderson@livingwelltherapies.net

Quote of the Day: "The refreshing moon of the Buddha is traveling in the sky of utmost emptiness. If the pond of the mind is still, the beautiful moon will reflect itself in it."  Thich Nhat Hanh

No comments:

Post a Comment