Friday, November 23, 2012

Asparagus and Beet Salad, can't beat it......

and it's so pretty!!!!


I was invited to a Thanksgiving gathering and part of that invitation included bringing along a side dish, which is such a great thing, everyone sharing in the preparation of a meal, community in its best design. I thought this over a lot, this side dish. I thought green beans with almonds, broccoli with orange sauce, country beets, Brussel sprout hash and on and on. Nothing was sounding right, so I went online and came across this recipe. The good thing about this dish, I didn't have to worry about how to keep it warm and it offered up a variety of veggies. (Also, when i arrived at the dinner, there were green beans and brussel sprouts already represented, whew. Glad I went with my gut.)

I altered the recipe somewhat, but I will share the original with notes.


Asparagus and Beet Salad

Ingredients
  • 1/2 pound asparagus (I used 1.25 pounds)
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin (2 teaspoons)
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice (6 tablespoons and a splash)
  • 1 can (15 oz.) sliced beets (fresh beets)
  • 1 can (15 oz.) garbanzos
  • 1 cup thinly sliced red onion, rinsed and drained
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (1/2 cup)
  • 3 tablespoons roasted, salted pistachios (used unsalted)
  • Salt (just a sprinkle)

Preparation

Boiling water
Icy water
  1. Snap off tough ends of asparagus. Cut spears diagonally into 1-inch lengths. (The asparagus I found was very thin, so I did not cut it up.)
  2. 2. In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan, bring about 1 inch water to a boil. Add asparagus and cook just until tender-crisp when pierced, about 3 minutes. Transfer asparagus with a slotted spoon to a large bowl of ice water. Lift out when cold.
  3. 3. Dry the frying pan and add cumin. Stir over low heat just until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Pour cumin into a wide bowl and add lemon juice.
  4. 4. Drain beets and garbanzos, rinse with cool water, and drain again. Add to bowl along with asparagus, onion, cilantro, and pistachios. Mix and add salt to taste.

The garbanzos are a bit problematic. They have a tendency to sink to the bottom of the bowl. So, the salad needs to be tossed often. Next time I make this, I may cut way back on the garbanzos, maybe add more beets or find another something to substitute them altogether. Any suggestions?????
Quote of the day:Gratitude is the inward feeling of kindness received. Thankfulness is the natural impulse to express that feeling. Thanksgiving is the following of that impulse.  Henry Van Dyke

Oh, a little trivia, I was listening to NPR yesterday and they said that if a person prepared a Thanksgiving meal from start to finish with all the fixings and desserts that the preparer would burn 700 calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment