Friday, November 9, 2012

Buckwheat and pancakes, Buckwheat in pancakes,....

Buckwheat is for pancakes, and buckwheat is gluten free, ya'll!!!

I woke up early, 3:30ish. Don't know why, but it's been a productive morning: Laundry done (well most of it), dishes done, dogs walked (poo and pee; no, that is not their names), journal writing (three pages) and a run to the grocery store for some Grade A dark amber maple syrup and Hodgson Mill Buckwheat Flour. I had a hankerin' for some pancakes, substantial pancakes with flavor and texture. Buckwheat fills the bill and they are pretty, too.

I followed the pancake recipe on the back of the buckwheat flour sack with a few minor modifications.

1 cup buckwheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
2 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 heaping tsp. cinnamon (modification)
1 heaping tsp ground ginger (modification)
1 egg beaten
1 cup milk (modification, I used hemp milk)
2 Tbsp. melted butter

Preheat griddle of large skillet (cast iron works great!!) on med high, grease lightly with oil. Griddle is ready when small drops of water  sizzle and disappear almost immediately.
Mix dry ingredients together; add egg, milk and butter, beating each well after each addition. Pour 1/4 cup on griddle, as many as it will take without pancakes touching. Watch for the bubbles on top of the pancake, when there are a lot, flip and let cook for a minute more.
Mmm, mmm, good!


Quote of the day:


I happen to know everything there is to know about maple syrup! I love maple syrup. I love maple syrup on pancakes. I love it on pizza. And I take maple syrup and put a little bit on my hair when I've had a rough week. What do you think holds it up, slick? Jeremy Grey "Wedding Crashers"

No comments:

Post a Comment